Start-up: MADE.COM

Defining MADE's UX needs in terms of Design and Strategy

Start-ups Case study 1/3, Reading time:10min
  • Make MADE.COM responsive
  • Introduce MADE.COM to UX Design & Research
  • My role as sole UX was to introduce the MADE.COM team to UX and Design thinking methodology as well as making the site responsive. The first step was to start by researching the current website in order to find insights, develop a product strategy as well as evaluating the impact for different departments and services.
    Although MADE.COM was already a really beautifully designed site, with the help of users, by interviewing them, we started to find new angles we could pursue in order to improve the site usability and product strategy in order to maintain MADE.COM's growth.
    In terms of Digital Product Design, I:
  • Supported the set up and the implementation of the UX department
  • Developed low fidelity, medium fidelity and high fidelity wireframes
  • Organised workshops with key stakeholders
  • Designed advanced prototypes with Axure
  • Tested & iterated concepts, fedback and presented findings to relevant parties
  • In terms of User Research, I:
  • Conducted research in physical showrooms around the UK as well as via remote tools
  • Captured research and presented it back to key stakeholders
  • Used insights in order to explore design and business opportunities
  • Several innovative concepts have been pursued in order to keep the optimisation of MADE.COM


    Below is a summary of the key elements that have helped with enhancing the product.

    1) Conducting & Capturing Research

    Given the tight deadlines, we adopted a lean approach in order to gather the most impactful and interesting insights so MADE.COM could keep its competitive edge.Following design sprints, I conducted user interviews, analysed the findings, summarised insights and sometimes even used design in order to summarise users feedback.

    2) Aligning heuristics evaluation, competitive analysis and insights from user interviews

    With the site redesign, we started evaluating our PDP as it is the key UI for E-commerce. Using UX methods such as user flows, heuristics evaluation, competitive analysis as well as psychology of design, I sketched and designed a UI that would summarised all the insights and would be a best in class PDP. The same process was repeated for the rest of the user journeys.

    3) Breaking down the problem into bites

    Some of the problems we were trying to solve were too complexe to be tackled individually, instead, I adopted a different technique which consisted in breaking down the problem into sub stories. These could later be used for developing hypothesis, user stories and design sprints.

    4) Focus on one UI issue

    Unboxed, which was MADE.COM's own social network was not fully fleshed, mainly because the service was still being pioneered. Therefore, the number of posts and users hadn't reached momentum. As a result, rather than inspiring users, it would sometimes be ignored, and sometimes even put users off as the content was not related to the product. Therefore, an idea was to only show the available products in context and also encourage users to post their pictures directly from the site to avoid friction and make them use the service as much as possible.

    UI design example after research and testing

    The idea behind this UI was to show users photos in context when they were available but also show that there was a possibility to add some if there were not many of them or even if the pictures were inexistent. This solution would keep the users engage and contextual information so the PDP would appear as clear and coherent as possible. Two key aspects that build trust with users.

    User testing, insights and prototyping

    This UI was designed to order fabric samples, unfortunately, it was misleading to users as people believed that they could order the furniture they had viewed in any of the available colours and textures. The result would be that people were confused and dissatisfied. We tested, iterated and prototyped different UIs in order to find the best UI possible for this service. We had also realised that the entire journey was broken and needed improvements. The userflows are shown below.

    Examples of user flows and competitive analysis

    The UI was misleading as well as the user flows broken. Therefore, this really important service for sales was not performing as well as it could have been. So we explored different routes in order to optimise it and help MADE.COM users follow the right path.

    Adding contextual & relevant information to create a high performing tool

    This prototype was tested, iterated and presented to key stakeholders. The solution that was implemented is relatively similar to the one shown above.

    Thank you.

    You have just read: MADE.COM Case Study in Start-ups. Discover more stories: